Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Monday

Breakfast:

2 cups of coffee with 1% milk and sweetener.
1/2 banana
Oatmeal (made with 1/2 cup minute oatmeal), @ 10 raisins, cinnamon, 0 Cal butter substitute, sweetener. I put it all in a bowl with a half cup of water and put in the microwave for @ 1 minute or until hot and liquid absorbed. (sometimes I add a half cup of 1 % milk and sometimes I eat the oatmeal without milk - just the butter substitute makes it good - like grits with butter)

[You can use instant oatmeal, but why spend extra just because they package it for you? How much time does it take to put 1 minute oats and other ingredients to taste in a bowl and microwave it - just keep the stuff you like together in your breakfast spot. And read the label - Instant cereals are more processed and that often means more unnecessary ingredients including sugar]

A small cube of whole milk (not cream) white cheese. I use a Colombian white cheese available in my market near the feta cheese. It is very much like feta but neither stinky or salty. Queso blanco is somewhat different Mexican variety. Try different ones. Farmer cheese is unsalted and basically a compressed cottage cheese, more tangy than the above.

Lunch: A big Dole Asian salad, all the greens but with half the salad dressing (save the other half for the next day). I put in the whole baggie of crisp noodles. I use the 'Kit' because I just like this salad dressing but you could make your own or any other dressing you prefer, and put together your own favorite ingredients as long as you use just a little of each thing. At least the kits are premeasured for you.

Small bowl of Golden summer squash soup (100 cals per serving/1/2 box). I really love Campbells Select Gold label soups that come in a box! I don't plug any particular brands unless I like them but these are good for you, no additives, around 200-225 cals per box. Won't kill any diet and very satisfying. The whole box was a meal yesterday/ half a different one today with the salad. No croutons today because of the noodles in the salad (you might call this a carb exchange!) .

Snack: Half an apple and 10 whole almonds.

40 minute walk before dinner. Rice cooks in the rice maker while I am gone. I put the boneless, skinless breast meat chicken cutlets in the micro for 2 minutes on low (5) setting. It won't be completely defrosted when I get back so no worry about spoilage but I will be able to pry them apart.

Dinner (prep time about 15 minutes):

Curried chicken - per serving: (1 breast cutlet) with brown rice (1 cup cooked).

Put the semi-thawed chicken cutlets (about 5 to a pack); in a pan and saute using spray oil and 1 TBSP olive oil (remember this oil is for flavoring. It is only a little bit because it will be distributed over 4 or 5 servings); When lightly browned, remove chicken and saute a sliced onion and a sliced red pepper, zucchini (you can add any vegetables and/or an apple or a small can of pineapple) a few minutes or until softened. Put the chicken back in the pan with a can of chicken broth. Season with garum masala (a curry spice mixture available in most grocery stores now). I use a lot. You can use old fashioned "curry" powder but I much prefer the more authentic garum masala. Salt lightly. Cook until chicken is cooked through and cook down the liquid to about half.

To serve, put a piece of chicken and some veggies on the rice and spoon over some sauce. [I made enough to freeze or eat tomorrow - I always cook a few meals at once - a good way to avoid cooking on a busy week night]

I serve a couple TBSP of my homemade mango chutney on the side. It is made with lots of fruits, raisins and vegetables, brown sugar and vinegar.

You can make a fresh fruit chutney of almost any fruits (including cranberries, pineapple, apricots, peaches and onions, peppers and just gently cook them down in a little water and lemon or vinegar. Sweeten with sweetener if you like. Tamarind juice and ginger would make it more authentic.

Decaf for dessert.

My weight is down 2 pounds for the week!!!

No comments:

WEIGHTLOSS SUPPORT

Please feel free to send me a message suggesting topics you would like to discuss.
kirsten.llamas@gmail.com

Add your comments at the bottom of any topic.

Remember the most recent topics are at the top of the page. If you want to read the topics in the narrative sequence they were written, just start from the bottom.