Friday, May 9, 2008

Mindful Eating

I started this blog with the statement that losing weight is 90% in the mind. There is some scientific research along the same line at Duke University.

NBC did a report this week on an experiment at Duke in a series called Mindful Eating. It is really about being conscious of what and why you eat. I recommend the video at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22601899/

This is not about dieting per se but just getting in touch with our hunger and how we feel about food and its relationship to stress. One study shows a link between eating comfort food and hormone levels that calm us. It should not be very surprising to anyone who has failed at dieting.

For myself it occurred to me during my diet that 1 spoonful of a favorite food is just as good as a dish full. It helped me keep away from going back for a seond serving. I also realized that if I got up from the table when I finished eating I would be less tempted to eat more. I still felt like I wanted to eat more but in a short time - maybe 15 minutes - the thoughts of food would pass as I kept busy doing something else.
.

No comments:

WEIGHTLOSS SUPPORT

Please feel free to send me a message suggesting topics you would like to discuss.
kirsten.llamas@gmail.com

Add your comments at the bottom of any topic.

Remember the most recent topics are at the top of the page. If you want to read the topics in the narrative sequence they were written, just start from the bottom.